Everyone wants to know how to get a tight sexy mid-section. Well, I’ve got good news and bad news. The good news is it’s never to late. If you start and stick with a comprehensive program you can see a ripple or two or at least lose a few inches in your mid-section in 6 to 8 weeks. The bad news is if you think doing 100′s of crunches and ab exercises is the ticket to sexy flat abs – then think again. You can literally do 1000’s of ab exercises per day and never see the slightest bit of tone or definition.
The secret is, abs are cooked up in the kitchen. That’s right, if your goal is to get a tight toned mid-section then 80% of the solution is your diet. The other 20% will be the right combination of cardiovascular and weight training.
Forget about the three meals a day. To increase your metabolic rate, eat often, like every 2-3 hours. Small frequent meals keeps the metabolic furnace burning! A small meal example could be 2-4 ounces of protein, and 1/2 cup of fruit or veggies.
Cardio – Work up a sweat and do a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes of cardio 5 to 6 days a week. Some people may need to do as much as 90 minutes to 2 hours 5-6 days a week in order to burn off subcutaneous fat.
Work Your Core
Core work – perform multi-joint exercises like push-ups, which also work the core (abs). That way you’ll get a twofer out of the deal. Shoot for 2 to 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps.
All About Abs
The Abdominal region is comprised of four muscle groups; rectus abdominis, external obliques, internal obliques and transverse abdominis. The abs work both as movers and stabilizers of the spine. Nothing compliments a fit physique better than toned shapely mid-section. Weak abs often lead to a weak lower back and are most assuredly a dead give-away that the body is unfit.
Be sure to warm up before you workout. Ten to 15 minutes of any cardiovascular is sufficient.
Be sure to challenging yourself and be sure to execute proper form. Many people mistakenly do neck-up instead of isolating the abdominal region when performing ab exercises. It is not necessary to do thousands of ab exercise to get results. Remember, less is more. Two to Four sets of 15 to 30 reps should do the trick.
The Crunch – Lay down flat on your back with knees bent. Cross your arms in front of your body. Contracting through your abs, lift your chest and shoulders off the floor toward your knees. Lower without letting your shoulders touch the floor. Shoot for 2-3 sets 20-30 reps.
Leg Lifts – Lay down flat on your back with your legs straight up to the ceiling. Contract your abs and slowly lower your legs until they are parallel to the floor. Hold for two second and return to starting position. Shoot for 2-3 sets 20-30 reps.
Ab Wheel – The original ab wheel cost about 8 bucks and is my personal favorite ab exercise. Two to three sets of this for 12—15 reps works wonders. It works the entire core and you can feel it up to ribs. Whew!